£175k play area opened in 19th Century park

By on 04/08/2009 in News

Highgate-Park-invite-PRINT-

133 years after a public park was first established in the area, Highgate Park in Birmingham has been treated to a new £175,000 children’s play area as part of the Council’s Big City Plan.

Please join us for the official opening of Highgate Park play area, Nechells, at 1.30pm on Friday, 7 August 2009.

The four fields that now make up the site of Highgate Park were originally owned by Elizabeth Hollier, who used them for the grazing of livestock. 

After she died the fields were purchased in 1875 by Birmingham Corporation with the intention of making them into a park, with an early design featuring parallel rows of trees with a lodge on the east side of the park.

Local people have long-recognised the importance of the park as the heart of the area, and the park now plays a key role in plans for Birmingham's Big City Plan and the regeneration of the area.

Proposals for the long-term refurbishment of Highgate Park were drawn up in 2006 by a partnership steering group, made up of Highgate Neighbourhood Forum, the Landscape
Practice Group, Birmingham City Council, Community Service Volunteers (CSV) and Birmingham citizens.

Funding for the play area development has been found from the Big City Plan Initiatives Programme and contributions from developers.

The opening of the play area will be commemorated by speeches from Birmingham City Council Cabinet Members, Nechells Ward Councillor Tahir Ali, and dignitaries.

Following this, the local Women & Theatre group - which has been based in Highgate
for 25 years - will perform a half-hour production, drawing on a two-week drama workshop they have developed with the local community.

The launch has been funded by Community Chest and Women & Theatre.

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Top