Birmingham landlords fined £13k for unsafe property

By on 08/06/2017 in Bulletin, News
Electric wires in bathroom

Electric wires in bathroom at Green Lane property

Two Birmingham landlords from Shirley, Solihull were ordered to pay a total of £13,387 at Birmingham Magistrates Court today (8 June 2017) for breaching management regulations at a three storey property on Green Lane in Small Heath – including those regulations designed to protect tenants from fire.

Abdul Qadir, age 56, of Longmore Road, Shirley and Dr Mohammed Anwar age 49, of Marshall Lake Road, Shirley both pleaded guilty to breaching management regulations.  Qadir was fined £5,000 with £1,550 full costs and victim surcharge of £170 and Anwar was fined £5,000 with £1,497 full costs and victim surcharge of £170.

Electric socket

Electric socket at Green Lane property

The property was visited in October 2016 by council’s officers following a complaint of disrepair from a tenant.  Officers found many defects in the property including:

  • No working fire detection throughout the property
  • No emergency lighting
  • Many doors were not fire doors and those that were lacked cold smoke seals and self-closers
  • No fire blanket in the kitchen
  • Bare and exposed wires in the bathroom and hall
  • Missing handrails
  • Trailing wires and extension cables
  • The central heating system was not working and the boiler was located in a locked room
  • Trailing electrics

    Trailing electrics at Green Lane property

    Peeling décor and mould growth to the bathroom ceiling

  • Broken kitchen cupboards and units
  • Broken bath panels
  • Loose electrical sockets and light switches
  • Missing splash backs to the kitchen work surface
  • Hole in the kitchen floor
  • No lighting to the second floor landing
  • Poorly wired and dangerous light fitting to the staircase to the second floor

 

Broken cupboards at Green Lane property

Broken cupboards at Green Lane property

Birmingham City Council’s director of housing, Robert James, said: “Qadir and Anwar displayed a total disregard for the health and safety of the occupants and the property was in a poor condition with inadequate fire precautions.   I am glad that we have been able to bring this landlord to justice through our specialist work on rogue landlords.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Top