Birminghamâ€™s best nightlife was rewarded at this yearâ€™s Best Bar None Awards, which took place at the International Convention Centre last night (3 December 2014).
A dozen awards were handed out to city venues which champion best practice in the licensing and entertainment trade.
The Red Lion, in Kingâ€™s Heath, was the nightâ€™s big winner receiving a trio of awards including best suburban pub, the peopleâ€™s choice award and overall winner of Birmingham Best Bar None 2014.
Last yearâ€™s overall winner The Square Peg and Joeâ€™s Bar at Birmingham University both retained their titles of best city centre pub and best student/university bar.
This yearâ€™s winners are listed below:
- Best Hotel Bar: Hotel Du Vin Bubble Lounge
- Best University/Student Bar: Joeâ€™s Bar Birmingham University
- Best Casino Bar: Grosvenor Casino
- The Peopleâ€™s Choice Award: Red Lion Kings Heath
- Best Suburban Bar: Bottle of Sack Sutton Coldfield
- Restaurant Bar: Loft Lounge Southside
- Best City Centre Bar: Wetherspoons Paradise Place
- Birmingham Community Safety Partnership Award: The Nightingale
- Best Suburban Pub: The Red Lion Kings Heath
- Best City Centre Pub: The Square Peg
- Best Nightclub: Reflex Arcadian Southside
- Overall Birmingham Best Bar None 2014: Red Lion Kings Heath
Cllr Barbara Dring, Chair of the Birmingham City Councilâ€™s Licensing and Public Protection Committee, said: â€œCongratulations to all the winners of this yearâ€™s Best Bar None awards, Â as the quality of entries was very high this year.
â€œThese awards are like the Oscars for the licensing trade in Birmingham, encouraging venues to strive for excellence in all aspects of their business, to deliver safe and enjoyable nights out across the city.â€
Best Bar None is a national award scheme supported by the Home Office, and helps at all levels within licensed premises.
Birmingham Best Bar None is the biggest in the country, championing licensed premises that provide a safe and enjoyable night out.
The scheme shows effective promotion of the licensing objectives, and in doing so, it promotes a vibrant and attractive economy within the city of Birmingham.
Notes to editors:
Images from the Best Bar None Awards 2014 Â ceremony are available online at: www.flickr.com/photos/jassansi/sets/72157649180510309/