Brum landlord and lettings agents fined for student house

By on 02/12/2016 in Cllr Griffiths, News

North Road pic 1A Birmingham landlord from Harborne and a letting agents from Selly Oak were fined a total of £5,590 at Birmingham Magistrates Court today (2 December 2016) for failing to obtain an HMO licence and for breaching management regulations at a three-storey student property in North Road, Selly Oak.

Ashley Borne Sales and Lettings Ltd of Bristol Road, Selly Oak Birmingham pleaded guilty to failing to obtain an HMO licence for the six-bedroomed house and was fined £2,500 with £1,185 costs and victim surcharge of £170.

Kuldip Singh, age 40, of The Lindens, Harborne, Birmingham pleaded guilty to multiple breaches of management regulations – many of which were fire hazards – and was fined £500 with £1,185 costs and victim surcharge of £50.

North Road pic 2Cabinet member for Housing and Homes, Cllr Peter Griffiths, said: “Ashley Borne Sales and Lettings Ltd is based in the heart of Selly Oak where most of the properties are multiple occupancy houses for students.  Both the lettings agents and the landlord should have known about HMO licensing, HMO regulations and their duty to protect their tenants.

“This six-bedroomed property was rented to students from outside Birmingham and their parents believed that they were living in decent accommodation.  We have a responsibility to these young people and their families and I am glad that we have been able to bring both the landlord and the letting agents to justice through our specialist work on rogue landlords.”

North Road pic 3The full list of management regulation breaches is as follows –

  • Failure to display the name, address and contact telephone number of the manager in a prominent position within the HMO
  • The bedroom doors and front entrance and rear exit doors were key operated instead of being operated by thumb-turn locks
  • There was no fire blanket in the kitchen
  • The risk room doors on the escape route all lacked suitable self-closers
  • There was no fire protection to the underside of the staircase, the absence of which would allow the spread of fire throughout the property
  • There was no door separating the staircase from the living room/kitchen area, the absence of which would allow the spread of fire and smoke throughout the whole property
  • There was no cover to the drain in the rear yard
  • The extractor fan in the shared kitchen was not working
  • The kitchen heat detector was covered
  • There was no handrail provision to a section of the staircase
  • The gas and electric meters in the ground floor front bedroom were not boxed in
  • The electrical wiring in the ground floor front bedroom did not comply with the current electrical standards
  • There was a gap between the door frame and wall to the first floor rear bedroom
  • There was defective plaster work to the ceiling to the ground floor front bay window
  • The hand basin in the en-suite bathroom in the second floor rear bedroom was leaking
  • The bathroom door to the en-suite bathroom in the second floor rear bedroom door did not close properly

-Ends-

 

 

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Top