Athletes are gearing up for the City of Birmingham Triathlon, which returns to Sutton Park for the third year.
This year's event, which takes place on Sunday, July 20, is expected to be even more popular than last year, with more than 1,000 participants signed up in events and classes for all abilities.
The triathlon is being held completely within the park boundaries and combines an open water swim in Powell's pool with a cycle using the park's inner road and pathways and a run taking in pathways, grassed areas and woodland.
The race, organised and delivered by Triathlon UK, is divided into three ability classes, as follows:
- Fun and Super Sprint - 200m swim, 10km cycle and 2.5km run;
- Sprint and Sprint Relay - 750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run;
- Olympic and Olympic Relay - 1,500m swim, 40km cycle and 10km run.
Start times are staggered according to age group, ability and the length of the event, as follows:
- 7am - Olympic Men Under 40
- 8am - Olympic Women and Olympic Relay
- 8.45am - Olympic Men Over 40
- 10.30am - Sprint Men Over 40
- 11am - Sprint Men Under 40
- 11.30am - Sprint Women and Sprint Relay
- Midday - Super Sprint Men and Women, Fun Men and Women
Registration is open from 1pm to 4pm on Saturday, July 19, and from 5.45am to 10.30am on the Sunday, in a marquee next to the Miller and Carter Steak House.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three male and female competitors in the Olympic, Sprint and Super Sprint races, although commemorative medals will be awarded to all participants who finish their race. There will also be prizes for the first place in all five year group categories in the Olympic and Sprint races.
Further information on the event is available by visiting www.uktriathlon.co.uk/events/city-birmingham-triathlon#race-day-info.