Garden Waste sales start for 2017 season

***1/1/2017 update: The earlybird offer has now ended – many thanks to everyone who signed up! For those who missed out, there is still the £2 online discount available, meaning the subscription isjust £38 for 20 collections***

Citizens wishing to have their garden waste collected in a clean and convenient way can sign up to Birmingham City Council’s 2017 service from today (December 6).

The annual subscription charge is £40 for 20 fortnightly collections from early March to early December – with an earlybird discount of £5 for all orders (online or phone) made during December 2016, reducing the cost to just £35.

As standard, subscribers will use a 240 litre bin with a brown lid. Residents can make multiple orders if they need more than one bin for their garden waste. Only households whose properties have been assessed as unsuitable for wheelie bins will be eligible for an alternative sack collection (clear sacks for 2017).

In a change from 2016, for a small number of residents collections of garden waste may not be on the same day as other recycling and rubbish collections.

This change is being made as a result of increasing sales meaning that it is no longer operationally efficient to stick rigidly to the old system of keeping everyone’s collection day linked to when their regular rubbish and recycling bins are collected. Details for individual subscribers will be confirmed during the purchase process.

Those who miss out on the earlybird offer will be able to obtain a £2 discount if they order via the council website from January 1 onwards, bringing the price down to £38.

If an existing customer’s subscription is not renewed, their garden waste will not be collected and the council will make arrangements to retrieve wheelie bins from their property.

Cllr Lisa Trickett, Cabinet Member for Clean Streets, Recycling and Environment, said: “Over the last three years we’ve seen subscriber numbers steadily increase, which is an endorsement that we are offering a simple, convenient way for people to get rid of their garden waste.

“Over that period we have frozen the subscription fee but have now reached the point where our costs in year four mean we need to make a modest increase to the charge – but if people sign up during the earlybird offer period, the cost will be no more than a standard subscription was last year.

“And by breaking the link with collection days for rubbish and recycling bins we are being smarter with our route-planning, which will make the service more efficient in terms of fuel consumption and improve reliability of the rounds.”

Subscriptions can be made through the council’s website at www.birmingham.gov.uk/gardenwaste or by calling the contact centre on 0121 303 1112. Payment can only be made by debit/credit card and please note telephone lines may be busy during peak hours.

Tags: , , , ,

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

There Are 9 Brilliant Comments

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Paul Wallis says:

I use the green waste collection service and think it is excellent. I along with others find that it stops a little too early – leaves still falling and then starts a bit early – not much to put in. Could it be moved forward at least one collection ?

• Kris Kowalewski says:

Hi Paul – this year we have done exactly that – hopefully it helps you out.

• Michael Dawson says:

I too use this excellent service, and like Paul Wallis, consider that it should be moved forward by one collection at least. I found that, I’d got at least six bags of leaves ready for collection, but Oh No!, the service had finished for the year. I had to make a couple of trips to the local tip…..which makes me appreciate what a good service it actually is. I’m just about to sign up for next season.
      Merry Christmas

• Kris Kowalewski says:

As stated in an earlier reply, we are starting collections a fortnight later in 2017, meaning the final collections will be a fortnight later (enabling subscribers to have two more weeks to manage leaf fall). Hopefully this helps.

2. D.M.Clueit says:

I would like to do the green recycle but hate the thought of storing another big bin somewhere on my property. Why can’t we pay for the service but untiles the blue recycle bin we already have. Therefore saving the coucil money on supplying the additional bin.
    Kind regards.

• Kris Kowalewski says:

Hi there – garden waste is an entirely different type of recycling and is dealt with through different processes. This means it cannot be mixed in with the likes of glass, tins, plastics etc.

• D.M.Clueit says:

I didn’t mean mixing the recycling. Just one week I would put the glass tins plastics in the bin and put it out for collection, then the following week I would use the same bin but only put in the green waste.

• Kris Kowalewski says:

As stated before, this could lead to ‘contamination’ of the recycling (and indeed the garden waste) and mean that the contents could not be recycled or composted – meaning all of the waste would have to go to landfill or our energy from waste facility.

• D.M.Clueit says:

I did not mean mix the recycling together. One week I would put the blue bin out with glass, tins, plastic. Then the following week I would put it out with green waste only in it. Therefore only needing one bin but using it for two different services. Then I would not have the problem of trying to store a third bin on my property.