Media Watch – July 31

By on 31/07/2013 in Media Watch

Top Birmingham City Council Stories

Just 4 per cent of tunnel workers from abroad, claim Amey (Birmingham Mail) Birmingham’s roads contractor has now claimed that just four per cent of staff working on the Queensway tunnel improvements come from overseas, with the remaining 96 per cent being sourced locally or from around the UK where specialist skills are required.

Indoor Markets claim trade down (BBC WM) Claims that trade down due to factors including metro works, other development projects and tunnel closures. Amey responded to claims by stating that Birmingham remains open for business, strong partnership with business and transport operators, and stressing long-term benefits to city of this essential work.

Royal pair will lead carnival celebration (Birmingham Mail) Up to 30,000 people are expected at Handsworth Carnival on Sunday, with many lining local streets to cheer on its parade. Deputy Leader Cllr Ian Ward quoted.

Still no 'bedroom' tax relief for the disabled (Birmingham Mail) Cllr John Cotton, cabinet member for social cohesion and equalities, spoke of his 'disappointment' after the failure of a legal challenge to social sector size criteria restrictions levied on disabled people.

Star line-up in new chapter for festival (Birmingham Mail) To celebrate its new home at the Library of Birmingham, the Birmingham Book Festival has launched a new name (now Birmingham Literature Festival), new look and new website.

McKay calls for harmonised approach to route design ( Local Transport Today) Birmingham City Council has urged an end to a cycling 'design free for all' in response to the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group's recommendation for revised design guidance. Cllr Mckay, cabinet member for green, safe and smart city quoted.

Quality of park life is among best in country (Birmingham Mail) Selly Oak Park has been awarded a prestigious Green Flag by environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy. District Chair Cllr Karen McCarthy quoted.

Anti-social behaviour feature on Daybreak (ITV) Vicki Moore, anti-social behaviour officer, appeared on the show, previewing tonight's Neighbourhood Force programme, looking at the causes of and challenges around anti-social behaviour.

Regional Headlines

Birmingham City’s Marlon King arrested over ‘hit and run’

Birmingham coffin works restoration project begins

National Headlines

Law firms linked to convicted private investigators

Third 'SAS' training soldier dies

Tags: , , , ,

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Top