A groundbreaking partnership launched to help Birmingham’s growing army of carers has won national recognition at the Third Sector 2016 Business Charity Awards.
Forward Carers was commended for the work of Birmingham Carers Hub – an innovative service which offers thousands of family carers:
- access to free support
- emergency aid
- respite breaks
- essential training
- wellbeing events
Launched in 2014 and commissioned by Birmingham City Council, the Carers Hub is a partnership of charities and not-for-profit businesses offering vital support services for family carers.
With 16,000 carers currently signed up, the Hub has been a resounding success and Forward Carers CEO Simon Fenton believes the Birmingham model should be adopted elsewhere.
He said: “Across the country more and more pressure is falling on family members to provide unpaid care for those who need it and, at a time of funding cuts, we need a new breed of health and wellbeing service that helps people help themselves – Birmingham Carers Hub does just that.
“This recognition for Forward Carers and Birmingham Carers Hub is testament to Birmingham City Council’s long-term vision for our community. The Council has been commissioning the service since 2014 and with 16,000 carers currently signed up, the Hub is only looking to grow.
“We are thrilled to receive the award, but it is important to acknowledge that there are hundreds, if not thousands of carers within our communities who still do not get all of the support and wellbeing services they need. It’s our vision to reach out to carers not just across Birmingham but from the whole of the West Midlands region.”
Birmingham City Council Service Director for Health and Wellbeing, Alan Lotinga, added: “The combination of growing demand and funding cuts mean that councils must work more closely than ever with partners to support carers. That’s exactly what the Birmingham Carers Hub does and this is deserved recognition for Simon and the team.”
For more information about caring and Birmingham Carers Hub, please see http://www.birminghamcarershub.org.uk/ or come along to the largest Carers event in the country this year, held by the Hub at Symphony Hall, Birmingham on 10th June 2016 as part of National Carers Week UK.
For further information, please contact Simon Fenton email@example.com Tel 07793 414 032
Notes to the Editor:
- Photos available on request
- Birmingham Carers Hub is an umbrella brand for the Forward Carers Consortium; a partnership of more than 20 third sector providers in the West Midlands, which came together in April 2014 to provide support services for family carers following a decision by Birmingham City Council to commission this service.
- The consortium includes organisations that work in hard-to-reach communities and provide services to carers, giving Forward Carers access to disadvantaged groups and allowing partner organisations to diversify their offers.
- In 2015, it registered and supported more than 14,000 carers, and more than 2,700 received support from its Carers Emergency Response Back-up Service. Eight hundred families got access to out-of-school activities for children with additional needs.
- The Business Charity Awards were held on 20 April 2016. The awards recognise the charity work undertaken by the corporate sector. Birmingham Carers Hub received the Consortium Award, given for an outstanding partnership between one or more companies and one or more UK charities.