Birmingham City Council’s new Cabinet was confirmed at its Annual General Meeting yesterday (24 May 2016).
The new Cabinet membership is set out below:
- Cllr John Clancy is the Leader
- Cllr Ian Ward is the Deputy Leader
- Cllr Brigid Jones is the Cabinet Member for Children, Families and Schools
- Cllr Lisa Trickett is the Cabinet Member for Clean Streets, Recycling and Environment
- Cllr Paulette Hamilton is the Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care
- Cllr Peter Griffiths is the Cabinet Member for Housing and Homes
- Cllr Brett O’Reilly is the Cabinet Member for Jobs and Skills
- Cllr Waseem Zaffar is the Cabinet Member for Transparency, Openness and Equality
- Cllr Stewart Stacey is the Cabinet Member for Transport and Roads
- Cllr Majid Mahmood is the Cabinet Member for Value for Money and Efficiency.
Photos of the Cabinet members can be found on our Flickr account.
In addition to these, four new roles of Assistant Leaders will be announced next month. They will sit on a new Cabinet Committee – Local Leadership, which will also be established in June.
This Cabinet Committee will comprise of the Leader, another Cabinet Member, Leaders of the official opposition party and the next largest opposition party, District Committee Chairs and four Assistant Leaders.
The Assistant Leaders will each be responsible for an area of the city and charged with taking forward the committee’s agenda between meetings. They will be able to attend Cabinet meetings, but will not be able to vote.
The chairs of Regulatory and Overview & Scrutiny Committees were also confirmed by the Leader at the AGM, which are set out below:
- Audit Committee: Cllr Tristan Chatfield
- Council Business Management Committee: Cllr John Clancy
- Licensing and Public Protection Committee: Cllr Barbara Dring
- Planning Committee: Cllr Mike Sharpe
- Trust and Charities: Cllr Habib Rehman
Overview and Scrutiny:
- Corporate Resources and Governance: Cllr Mohammed Aikhlaq
- Economy, Skills and Transport: Cllr Zafar Iqbal
- Health, Wellbeing and the Environment: Cllr John Cotton
- Housing and Homes: Cllr Victoria Quinn
- Schools, Children and Families: Cllr Susan Barnett
Cllr Phil Davis will chair the Transport Delivery Committee.