New start for fire-hit school

By on 01/09/2011 in News

Plans to re-build a Birmingham school severely damaged in a fire last year are set to be approved by the city council's cabinet property committee.

The main hall and classrooms at Harborne junior school were destroyed by a fire in April this year - with minor damage done to the infant school - leaving 360 junior school pupils in temporary accommodation at Harborne Hall.

Since then work has taken place to clear the debris and ensure no further structural damage; the full business case and contract award for the rebuild will now go before committee on Thursday 8 September.

The rebuild and refurbishment covers 12 classrooms, main hall, junior ICT suite, staff room, toilets and new roof and will cost £1.8million. As the rebuild is like-for-like no planning permission is required and the work is expected to start in September and be completed in April 2012.

Head teacher Mark Slater said: “Things are virtually back to normal at the infants' school and the juniors are settled and looking forward to the new term and re-establishing a routine.”

Councillor Les Lawrence, cabinet member for children, young people and families, said: “We have kept disruption to a minimum since the fire, with the children going to school at Harborne Hall, and the staff, pupils and parents have all responded brilliantly. However, we want to see the junior and infant schools reunited on one site as soon as possible so this is excellent news.”

Tags: , ,

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Top