The EDF Energy Birmingham Half Marathon remains on course for another record breaking year with entries now past the 10,000 mark.
And potential runners have now been given an extra 15 days to sign-up for the Sunday October 24 event.
The registration deadline has been extended from September 24 to October 9 - just 15 days before this year's race.
The EDF Energy Birmingham Half Marathon is now in its third year and Birmingham City Council Cabinet Member for Leisure, Sport and Culture Cllr Martin Mullaney predicts another major success this year.
He said: “Since the launch in 2008, the event has grown from strength to strength and I'm confident this year's half marathon will be another major success.
“Our aim is for the event to grow year on year and the high number of returning participants shows this event is fast becoming a fixture on the running calendar.
“We've extended the deadline because we're still getting a high number of entries every day and we want to give people as long as possible to enter.
“We had 8,000 runners in 2008, 12,000 last year and this time around the entries are coming in thick and fast. We're ahead of where we were at this stage last year, so hopefully we'll set a new record this time around.
“So, whether you're new to this event or looking to beat last year's time, it's not too late to sign-up for this year's EDF Energy Birmingham Half Marathon.”
The event will once again be sponsored by EDF Energy, one of the UK's largest energy companies, and will be known as the Race Against Climate Change.
Anyone interested in running in the 2010 event can sign-up via the official website www.birminghamhalfmarathon.com.
Notes to Editors
- The combination of EDF Energy and British Energy forms one of the UK's largest energy companies. The combined business is the UK's largest producer of electricity. With a current installed capacity of around 16.5GW, we produce almost one-quarter of the nation's electricity from our nuclear, coal and gas power stations, as well as combined heat and power plants and wind farms. We provide power to a quarter of the UK's population via our electricity distribution networks in London, the South East and the East of England and supply gas and electricity to over 5.5 million business and residential customers.
- Through our climate and social commitments we have launched the biggest environmental and social packages of any UK energy company. The company is also a key player in national infrastructure projects including management of private electricity networks serving four London airports and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link, the country's first major new railway in 100 years.
- EDF Energy and British Energy together employ nearly 20,000 people at locations across the UK. The combined companies are part of EDF Group, one of Europe's largest power companies. EDF is the official energy utilities partner and sustainability partner of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Birmingham City Council
- The EDF Energy Birmingham Half Marathon will be organised by Birmingham City Council.
Birmingham is a World Class Sporting City and has staged more international and national sports events than any other UK city
- Birmingham City Council organises a huge variety of events every single year and the city has an excellent reputation for staging great events and sporting championships
For more information contact Geoff Coleman on 0121 303 3501