Street party deadline looms

By on 30/03/2011 in News

With Birmingham City Council set to lodge a single traffic order next week to cover all streets where Royal Wedding street parties are to take place on 29th April, the authority has made a final call to local residents interested in staging an event.

As staging a street party usually involves having to close the road on which it is being held, and therefore entry/access along it, party organisers need to obtain permission from the city council for a road closure to be put in place.

Rather than processing all closures individually the Council plans to grant one overall Traffic Order which covers all approved closures across the city, thereby minimising costs and administration. Work to process this order will begin next week after a deadline of 1st April for organisers to express an interest and get free help and advice on their plans has passed.

Before applying for a closure anyone wishing to organise a party is advised to contact the Council informally in the first instance for specific advice on the suitability and likely outcome of their individual plans.

Officers will at this stage be able to advise if an application is unlikely to succeed for any reason, for example a road being on a bus route, providing access to key public/business premises or being a through route.

Before making a formal application all organisers must be able to prove they have arranged suitable public liability insurance to cover the event.

The cost of the closure will vary depending on the scale of work involved in processing and implementing specific closures. However engineers based in Constituency Offices will be able to advise on this at the informal enquiry stage.

A spokesperson for Birmingham City Council said:

“To help make the process as easy and ultimately affordable as possible our constituency engineers are able to offer free help and advice to anyone interested in staging a street party for the Royal Wedding.

“To keep costs to applicants down we will also be processing all necessary road closures under a single traffic order, hence the need for everyone to contact us this week.

“If signage is required at the site of any party it is the responsibility of the organisers to arrange and fund this work, we can however offer advice on what signage would be required and provide details of suitable companies who can help prepare this.”

For more information contact your local constituency office, or the Council's customer contact centre on 0121 303 1111.

Tags: ,


If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.